Monday, January 5, 2009

Getting Closer

I got the fabric for the vest done. I took off yesterday so I finished weaving it today. For anyone that is unfamiliar with loom fitted garments that means the vest is one piece of fabric. That way you have very little to no cutting and have only side seams to sew. This is how a lot of clothing first got created and in some places in the world still is.

These pictures are of the fabric still on the loom from Saturday when I started weaving it.


This picture is the fabric done and off the loom.


Now I have it soaking in wash water to wet set (shrink) it. Before I did that I draped the fabric over me to see if it was wide enough and long enough and it was. Since this is made of a hundred percent wool I have it in cold water so there should be a normal amount of shrinkage I’m hoping. After I finish washing and drying the fabric I will finish off the vest. So hopefully I will have a wearable and fitting loom fitted vest. I will let everyone know hopefully tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jessica Madsen said...

Chuck,
Did you use two shuttles to weave the fronts?

I'm working on the design for a loom fitted vest, but am putting the width of the vest along the length of the warp and toying with different ways of handling armholes.

Your way is different than mine, but boy does it look good!
-Jessica

Chuck said...

I did use two shuttles for the front panels. I wove the back first then wove the front panels with two shuttles.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing......



___________________
Rozydesouza
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free