Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Some more on fermenting and the first lecture of the conference.

 I do realize I did show any pics of what I made in class. The reason is I wanted to show you everything. I didn't have enough time to make everything yesterday. I did today minus one thing that is going to have to wait until later today or tomorrow. I have made the original and am making my version of it as well. I have a crazy idea and want to try it.


The very first thing we made was the honey garlic or garlic honey. The jar on the far right is what we made in class and will get darker with age. The next one with the white lid is the honey ginger I made with fresh young ginger I got at the conference. Enjoyable I made that one Sunday when we got home. There is so much water in the ginger that the honey thinned out very quickly. It will be consistent when it is done, or it may come out a bit thinner. We will see.

The next jar is the mixture of ginger, garlic, turmeric, and the last is just the Tumeric. The sold-looking stuff on the bottom of the last jar is actually honey. I had to liquefy it again since it crystalized. I don't really know who that one or the mix will turn out they both have the crystalized honey in. 

I would think it is too thin out and un crystalizes. I really don't know. We will have to wait and see. All the solids will fall into the honey over time. With honey, you will be able to keep them indefinitely. Honey never spoils.

The next ones we did were the sauerkraut and carrots. 
As I had mentioned yesterday, the kraut is just
salted veggies that have been massaged to release the juice from within. Once that happens, which can take a little bit of time. You can then fill your jars and pack them tight. With any ferments, you don't want air hitting them. Otherwise, it will spoil. We were given special weights and tops to keep everything under the juice and allow the gasses to escape from the jar, so nothing explodes.

The carrots are done with brine. Again, you need to pack the jar tight with carrots. Interesting, you will never fill that jar with a pint of brine. There isn't enough room with the carrots. Make half a pint of brine, and you should have some leftover. 

After the weight is put on, you will need to add more juice or brine if the weight isn't covered. And you have to make sure that the weight is low enough not to interfere with the top. The best rule of thumb is to pack no higher than the next of the jar. That way you should have enough room for the weight. 

Both of these need to ferment a week, and then you can start to taste them. You can also use sight as well. The kraut the brine hasn't even begun to cloud up yet. But the color from the red cabbage is being released. In either case, you need to check it and let it go until you like the results. Once you do, then you need to place it in the frig or other cool place. You can also remove the nipple top.


The last thing we made was the ketchup. That was a bit unexpected and a lot of fun. After adding all your ingredients, you shake it to mix. Then taste to see if you want more of something or another. Once you like it, leave it to ferment for three days and then put it in the frig.

Something we talked about and didn't make was fermented tomato sauce. I made some of that today from the tomatoes I have in the garden. You can add your veggies and tomatoes to a chopper or food processer to chop them to the size you would like. You add your salt, and just like the ketchup, it needs to ferment for three days. Then you can place that if the frig or cool place till you use it.

Something I should mention whenever you use regular lids and not the nipple or fermenting lids, you need to burp the jars. If not, they can explode, and what a mess that will make. You just open the jar once morning and night to let the gasses out. Close it up and let it continue fermenting.

The sauce which is in the quart will ferment for three days. To use it instead of heating it up in the microwac=ve or on the stove. Drain your pasta and add it to that, letting the pasta warm the sauce for you. That way, you won't kill any of the beneficial bacteria.

That was all the things we made in class. We did talk about kombucha, which is a fermented tea. Instead

of making any there, we took some plain kombucha home to make a SCOBY ourselves. I wasn't going to and then decided after learning how to do the second ferment to give it a try again. I made the kick starter tea, and all I had to do was wait for the SCOBY to form. This can take up to two weeks. We must have some patients people.

The final thing we discussed and also didn't make was the apple brandy. In these parts, we call it applejack. It is made the same way. It's really just sugar, raisins, apples that are layered. that's it, nothing else

I am planning on making my version of applejack as well. I'm not going to reveal it just yet. I want to see if it work out first. It should; one never knows. Once your jar is filled, it needs to be left alone and forgotten about for almost a year. Then you can remove the fruit and strain out the liquid. It is a fruit ferment which means there is a low amount of alcohol in it. No driving and no kids. 



I told you we learned a lot, and let us take a few moments to talk about the first lecture on Friday.

Due to unexpected numbers of people attending this year's conference. The first day was challenging to get into. I actually could only stumble into the lecture at the tail end for the question and answer. That doesn't mean I didn't get something out of it.


Janet Garman was the presenter who was talking about who to care for your sheep and harvest wool. I was upset that I missed it. I was able to see her later in the day and pick up her book on natural dyeing. Plus, I got to talk with her; she is a beautiful person that I am glad to meet.

She, of course, has a website, Facebook, and the lot. If you are interested in learning more about her, I would check out her website.

That is enough for today. I wish I had more of the first lecture. That wasn't possible till next time.

No comments: