Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Shopping


As with all good conferences, there was quite a bit of shopping that could be had. I have mentioned a couple of things I got. The first is Stacy's Cooking with a Smile Cookbook. This was put out by Stacy from Doug and Stacy, and if you refer back to the fermenting post, you get their website and youtube page. Stacy being part Armenian has several Armenian recipes and many, many others. The fermented ketchup is actually in this book. An excellent piece to have.

The next book is the dye book from Janet Garmen. Natural Dyes on Wool with Timber Creek Farm, a journaling workbook. She had three types of dyes in the book Kitchen, Foraged, Garden. Which gives you a full range of posable dye options. Some I have tried on my own. Just doing some experimentation. Some I have not, but some I will just to see what results I get. If you are interested in dying, it's a fun little book to have.

There was a stand selling a couple of books and a lot of aromatherapy. The Beeyoutiful stand was run by a wonderful couple that we actually got to chat with a couple of times. I was able to pick up a copy of The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Not only did we make new friends, but I was also able to help them out with a purchase.

One of the things Ed found was a Company that helps you manage an Online Farmers Market. They allow farmers to sell their items online and not only produce. If you make things, you can add them as well. A customer can place an order online. Then there can be a pickup or delivery. That is, of course, up to the farmer. Something interesting to check out. Especially if you want to purchase locally.

Yesterday I talked about Rory Feek. Rory's sister Marcy and wife Jo opened up their own restaurant. Which they would share a recipe from their restaurant on their show. Interestingly enough, Marcy Jo's was at the conference. And Marcy herself with friends worked the weekend and did very well. We stopped there for some coffee, and while we were there, Rory stopped to talk to his sister. Which was very cool.

I was able to pick up some wonderful young ginger roots. When I first saw it, I was under the impression that I could plant it when I got home and have ginger next year. That is incorrect; the babies needed to be planted immediately after the mother had been removed. I actually didn't get it. Then after I thought about it, I should have fo the ferments I was making.  I was able to get what was left the next day. Peace & Harmony Farm Also makes syrups, fire ciders, sells roots and plants. She was a wonderful person to talk with and again a new friend.

While walking the vendor area, we came across a woodworker's hand carving kitchen utensils. We found out he was at the conference in 2019. He decided to double what he brought last time because he sold out. He sold out again, which shows how good a product he has and how many people were there. Riverwood Trading Co is a wonderful place to get some well-priced hand-carved wood pieces. If you are so inclined.

Another fun place was the mushroom tent. Not only were they selling dried mushrooms also mushroom kits and plugs. We picked up one of their kits and some pink oyster mushrooms. They are supposed to taste like bacon when they are fried. Windermere Farms is a fun place to get your mushroom growing supplies.

After learning about elderberries, I wanted to get at least one bush. Well, wouldn't you know there were none to be had. As I mentioned in the post, for elderberries, you can propagate them from cuttings. Walking around, I found a nice southern lady selling clippings. For cheaper than purchasing a bush, I was able to get five cuttings. Which are planted, and I can't wait till spring to see how they took. 

There was another family that we picked up soap from. They actually farm on two-tenths of an acre. They make soap, body products, kimchi and sell the produce they grow as well. Really nice people and fun soap. Rootbound Farm has made you realize you can sustain yourself on very little land.

My last vendor to talk about is John Moody. He is the gentleman who presented the lecture on elderberries. He has written a book on that subject. Plus one on sourdough, weeds, and frugal homesteading. They were an excellent find.




We had a fabulous time shopping, meeting wonderful people, and getting some great bargains. You would think that this would be the last post on the HOA topic. I actually have one more, till then.






No comments: