Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Greenhouses


The Second lecture of Friday was The Homestead greenhouse-from pop up to High tunnel. The presenter was Paul Hutcheson from Windmill Heights Garden Center. It was a wonderful lecture with a wealth of information on starting your seed in the spring to extending you growing season.

I had thought I new the difference between greenhouse, high tunnel, cold frame and low tunnel. Actually I thought they are the the same with some slight differences and what was but in them. A greenhouse is pretty easy. What I didn't know is that for it to be a green house it needs to be heated.

A high tunnel also known as a hoop house is not a greenhouse. First you actually plant in the ground of a high tunnel. Plus there is no heat, if you add heat then it will become a green house. High tunnels are used to jump start the growing season and extend the season. That part I did know. I had always considered in a green house.

The next one is a cold frame. I actually grew up with cold frames and thought they low to the ground green houses. You could plant in the or put your seedling in them. Well, that isn't true, totally anyway. You use cold frames to harden off your plants before you plant them out in the garden. Interesting enough I was going to make some cold frames to start some plants next year. I will have to rethink that.

The final thing was the low tunnel. I think we all know what these are. Truly they wouldn't be a green house so much anyway. Low tunnels are covered with a frost cloth. it also help to keep bugs out and of your plants. It's that white cloth, it also helps shade your plant which would be a help with plants that you don't want to rocket into seed. You also see them in use when the threat of frost in the spring is looming. They use it to keep the warmth in the tunnel and around the plants.

Another wonderful lecture, don't worry there are several more coming. Till then.....



No comments: