Friday, October 15, 2021

How to keep your bees alive.....

 

The final lecture of Friday was on bee keeping through the winter. The presenter was Kaylee Richardson She is of course a bee keeper specializing in raising bees more than honey production. She actually has a You Tube Channel were you can see all of her adventures. The cool thing is she sells her bees that she raises. She does have a website, plus she is on Facebook, Twitter and she has a podcast as well. She keeps you informed and is willing to help you if you need.

We learned some fun tricks to help help keep the moisture out of the hive in winter. And in reality we learned how to se the hives through the entire year. She does raise bees in that having hives for honey is a little different not much.

I also learned of a new (I really don't know how new) hive that is horizontal. I have never heard of this before. The same concept of a vertical hive the difference being there are no supers. There is just one box of I believe 20 to 24 cell frames. It's defiantly an interesting concept and from what I gather it does work. Something to check into. 

The other hive that I actually didn't hear anything about is the one you can harvest the honey directly from the hive. I had though that one was interesting. I think the traditional one will be the start at the farm. That will be coming soon enough.

The lectures I have been talking about are only a quarter of what was offered. Ed was attending different lectures, plus the other four or so being offered at the same time. You really needed to pick and choice what you wanted to learn.

Next time I will be talking about Saturday lectures. Just as informative as Fridays. Till next time.

No comments: