Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Apple Jack update


I thought it would be fun to share an update on my applejack. I am sure you remember that layers of sugar and fruit in that order are all it is. You fill it up tight with the layers, cover it, and let it sit for 10 months before consuming it.

It has been a week since I did the first one. Plus, I made another one of just sugar apples and raisins a couple of days ago. I thought it would be an excellent comparison to see what actually goes on. The original one I started is three-quarters full of juice, and the fruit has shrunk about a quarter from the top.

The new one is only about a quarter full of liquid and has no shrinkage that I can see at this time. Personally, I find these to be really cool. Seeing a jar just filled with fruit and a little bit of sugar fill up with liquid. With no assistance from human hands is fascinating to me. But then that is me.

This will be the most minor update until I bottle, which won't be until next summer. While I was at it, the sauerkraut and carrot stick was ready last night. I let Ed taste it. He liked both the kraut is nothing like you get in the store. The carrots were nice and crunchy. We added some garlic which gave some excellent flavor. Thinking about it, if we had dill, that would have been good too. 

The fermenting experiments are going very well.


No comments: