Monday, June 8, 2015

Turkish Spindle

A couple of months ago I had the chance to buy a turkish spindle. Instead I bought a support spindle and figured I would save up and come back to pick one up.

We where there on Palm Sunday the Thursday after we went to an auction. One of the items up for auction was a turkish spindle. It was a little ruff looking, there was some white mold on it. Plus it was dull and looked to have seen better day's. I got it for a mear seven dollars. On closer examination I believe it to be hand made or hand carved to be exact.

After I got it home I cleaned it up, sanded it and put a fresh coat of finishing wax on all the pieces. It looks really good and not only did I save about $28.00. I got a piece of history, unfortunately I don't know the carpenter who made it there's no markings on it. I would quess it to be quite old but I am only guessing. In the end it doesn't matter to me since I plan on using it and have. The cool thing is its my best balanced spindle. Thus us a very cool piece that I will cherish the rest of my life.

No comments: