Monday, June 8, 2015

Support Spindle

Way back on Palm Sunday Ed and I did a road trip to French Town NJ. We really enjoy going there it's a quant little town. Any way they have a spinning and weaving shop. Very cool for me if I do say so myself.

While I was walking around I found a support spindle and turkish spindles. I had always wanted both but never had enough to get them and I used the money for something more pressing. Well this trip I had enough for one of them. I choice the support spindle.

The spindle itself comes with a porcelain cup to support the spindle with. The woman who sold me the piece told me that the cup is a rice bowl. Beforw it was fired grains of rice where placed on the cup. When it was fired the rice burnt up but left a translucent area in it's place. When you hold it up to the light you can see the spots.

I haven't been able to use it yet. I have some cleaning of the studio to do first. But it is a neet addition to my spindle collection.

No comments: