Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chickens 3 weeks

My cute little peeps aren’t so little any more, they are growing up fast. Since we have had a very warm week I didn’t need to have the brooder lights on. P5040007If it gets cooler I will keep them on again, but we are to the point that the temperature in the brooder should be at 80 degrees. Also in a weeks time they can be left out side, I think we’ll wait until there about six weeks to do that.

Last week we had to go to the farm store to check on equipment and they were still carrying peeps. P5040008I never saw a bantam peep before, they are the size of a half dollar. They are the cutest little things, they look just like my peeps when they were that age, just much smaller. If I would have gotten some I would have to keep them separate I would be afraid  they would get trampled by the older guys.

As the weeks continue the not so little peeps are getting more and more comfortable with humans. P5040009To the point some, don’t like to be put back in the brooder after I hold them. They have decided that they like perching on my hand. To the point that over the weekend one of my neighbors wanted to see one of the peeps. So I took one out on my hand. They generally perch on my index finger. I had no problem with the peep trying to fly away or anything. The only little flight was when the little guy wanted back on my hand so they flew to get there. Pretty cool if you ask me.

No comments: