Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lanyard


I finished my latest project which is a lanyard. I haven’t card woven in a while so I had a lot of fun with it. As I said this project is card woven so I had to figure out how to weave it so the cards would be threaded correctly. After weaving the neck I wanted it to come together so it would be one piece that slipped over your neck. Then I would attach a lanyard hook so you could attach your id or anything you wish to it.

So the first thing was to get the cards set up so I could weave 34” of the band. This part was a little tricky, since I had to thread two cards on the same warp in ex. 1-20, 2-19, 3-18, 4-17 and so forth. That way when I put the card together they would all be facing the same way in the correct order.

I achieved that except I twisted the one pack of cards so the wrong side is showing for half the band. This is actually ok because it gives it some interest and it’s also a learning curve. Next I had to bring both packs of cards together and mach up the fell lines. That was really easy I held the fell lines together with pins.

Next all I had to do was weave a couple of inches with the cards together to close the loop and give me enough band to attach the hook. Since I was using two shuttles to weave with when I bought the cards together I made sure the shuttles were to the outside of the bands. The left shuttle on the outer left, and the right shuttle on the outer right, so when I started to weave this part I used both shuttles. One for some extra strength at the stress point and two that way I was able to hide one of the wefts in the weaving. That way I wouldn’t have it unraveling on me.

The last step was to attach the hook, I machine sewed this on. But first I had to figure out how to attach the hook. If you have ever seen a lanyard hook it’s just the hook there is nothing else to it. So I did find a bag of fasteners as they were called. They where lanyard hooks and key rings all in different sizes and colors, I got them at Wal*Mart, so I just attached the hook to the ring, which I then sewed to the lanyard. Project complete please check out the picture and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.....




___________________
Rozydesouza
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free