Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Farm Show

I was able to make it to the PA Farm Show last week. Had a blast like I always do, for the first time I finally was able to find the sheep barn. Which was totally cool while I was petting one of the sheep there buddy came over to me. So they checked me out by reaching there head up to sniff my face and for about a minute we were nose to nose. That was so cool (sorry I don’t have a picture my husband wasn’t thinking). I wanted to take home and Angora bunny I just couldn’t figure out how to sneak it out of the place. I do believe that there where more Alpacas this year they are always fun. No fiber goats though, so may be next year.



I was able to sit through two demo’s, one on honey and the other maple syrup. They where both good demos, the one on honey was more informative. Such as did you know that one hive holds ninety pounds honey and you are able to eat the wax your body is able to digest it. That was all so cool. The maple syrup demo was shorter but informative. Maple sap has about 2 to 2.3 percent sugar in it, when its reduced to syrup it has between 60 and 70 percent sugar. You can harvest the sap for about six weeks and you need to remove about eighty percent of the water from the sap to get the syrup. I thought that was all cool as well.

I did make it to the Sheep to Shawl competition when it was over. I got there a little after five and they were done with the weaving. Rat’s I don’t sit fir the whole think but I do like to watch some of it. A disappointing thing there where only five groups competing this year. I wasn’t able to get all the names of the groups but I did get final prices of the shawls as they where sold. The prices are below, I’m busy busy busy so I will talk later.




Sheep to Shawl

First place - $800.00
Second Place - $500.00 scholarship and another $400.00
Third Place - $1300.00
Fourth Place - $300.00
Fifth Place - $400.00

Fleece to Shawl

First place - $300.00
Second Place - $400.00
Third Place - $300.00
Fourth Place - $475.00
Fifth Place - $175.00

No comments: