Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fiber Fest

This past Friday Ed and I went to the North Jersey Fiber Arts Festival in Ridgewood, NJ. It is a small fiber fest but just because it is small doesn't mean that it isn’t good. There where weavers, spinners, knitters, tatters and lace makers. Demonstrations on felt making, crochet, bobbin lace, knitting, weaving, spinning and quilt making.

While I was there I got to spin some Lama which I never got to do before. What was even coolerChuckSpin was I got to use a double treadle wheel for the first time which was so fun, and I must say I think easier to use and control. But it could have been the euphoric  state I was in trying it out. The Lama to my surprise was almost as soft as Alpaca, very easy to spin, also being a little slippery like Alpaca so it requires more twist. At least the sample that I was working on was that way.

While I was walking around I stopped of at the lace guilds table. Micheline Hodge was demonstrating bobbin lace. I must confess I have always been intrigued about bobbin lace. So it was a natural attraction and she made it look so easy. We will have to see, maybe I will take a class one of these days.

While I was there I did pick up some things for myself. Three new books, The Yarn Book by Penny Walsh, The Spinners Companion by Bobbie Irwin and Handspinner’s Handbook by Bette Hochberg. I just finished the Yarn Book, which I liked a lot there is a lot of history in the book, with a section on different yarns and evenPA040001 different fabrics with definitions. I haven’t read the other to books yet but I’m sure I will like them as well.

I also picked up a couple of new spindles. I was in the market for a new drop spindle, then I found this supported spindle. PA040003 I have to practice more with the supported spindle until I get the hang of it. The drop spindle works like a dream.

I had a really good time Friday before I headed off to work, That is one of the hard things living in the area that I there aren't that any fiber related activities. You are forced to drive out of the area to attend one. Maybe one day there will be one in this area.

No comments: